Wednesday 19 October 2011

Books for things to do and more crochet

The week so far has been wonderful. On Monday I attended a crochet course at The Make Lounge taught by Catherine Hirst. After nearly missing the beginning of the session due to my own poor time keeping I settled in for a delightful evening going over basic crocheting technique. I had decided to book myself onto this course when I first started to teach myself to crochet at the beginning of this year. Catherine is an excellent teacher and comes with the advantage of being a lefty like myself. This makes it so much easier to understand how you should be doing something. Looking at a righty doing something complex and then attempting to mirror them to your left handedness can be very difficult.

We went over basic stitches and were supplied with an excellent hand out. I am really looking forward to next weeks session. The was the added benefit that refreshments were provided including pompom bears. Why do they have belly buttons? They have eyes, mouths and belly buttons but no noses? All very odd I think.

Tuesday involved my favourite type of shopping which is book shopping. After having watched Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstalls new TV series all about veg I was inspired and popped out to the book shop to buy his new book. Being a veggie and obsessed with cooking I am always looking for inspiration. Hugh's new book is interesting as it is not aimed at veggies. It is in fact aimed at carnies who he would like to encourage to eat less veg and less meat/fish.

The book is filled with delicious looking recipes crammed with a multitude of different veggies. I am exciting about cooking for it this weekend. I plan to start with the North African squash and chickpea stew to help combat the chilly weather.

Whilst in the bookshop i could not resist buying a cake book which I had had my beady eyes on for a number of months - Pam Corbin CAKES. The books whole look is wonderful and charmingly retro. The recipes included cover a vast range from traditional Victoria sponge to hazelnut macaroons. Today I baked the banana bread with a few simple adaptations. I hate raisins and so exchanged the raisins for walnuts and also I used wholemeal self raising flour rather than plain white and baking powder. The banana bread produced is Divine! I will try to pop the recipe up when I have a moment.

Tonight I am off to my print making course where we will be covering silk screen printing. I have yet to come up with a design to print this evening so really should make that a priority this afternoon between herding the now far too mobile moomoos around the house and making sure that the pook does his homework.

wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment