Thursday 13 October 2011

Printing, painting and baking in the autumn sun

Hello!

The last couple of days have been full of crafty life fun. Baking cakes and cookies, lino printing, drawing and silk painting. I have been enjoying getting to grips with a number of projects that I have had on the go for a while.

On wednesday I went to my print making evening course. I am loving print making. Claire Palfreyman a local artist is running the course. I am two weeks in and enjoying every minute. This week we started with a small drawing exercise looking at our ability to capture the texture of an item rather than looking at its form. The exercise was very intersting and helped with the linocutting where texture is very important.

This weeks lino print was a challenge. I picked a design that required a lot of work. I was really stretched the complete the print within the three hours available. Here are the results.

First the lino block that I cut


And this is one of the prints


When lino printing you have to be very aware that an image you create will become a mirror image when printed. This can become very confusing when using text.

Another project I have been working on are some painted silk cushion covers that I am making for christmas presents.

Here I am drawing on the pattern freehand with clear resist.


And here I have begun to layer colour onto the silk. Still quite a lot of work to do.


Lets hope I can keep the motivation up and that the weekend is as productive. We are planning to visit Kew gardens with the children. All of the trees should have a wonderful autumn display of colour. Hoping to get some nice photos whilst I am there. I have been neglecting my camera of late.

Kew Gardens is one of my favourite places to visit. There is always so much to see and not matter how many times you have visited it always looks different. On cold days I like to wonder around the hot houses pretending we are on a trip to the rainforests of Borneo of something similar.

Well it is late for me so good night X

No comments:

Post a Comment