Thursday 24 November 2011

Blues skies, fluffy slipper and a bit of baking

I <3 November. I think it may well be one of my favourite months. All blue skies and crisp mornings. The trees have shed their last few leaves preparing for winter. I too am preparing for winter. I am baking fruit cake, crocheting blankets and making mincemeat for winter mince pies and spooning through porridge in the cold mornings.

For my mincemeat I use a recipe by Dan Lepard that you can find on his Guardian baking blog. This man is one of my baking heros. He mixes traditional recipes with scrummy strange ideas like macaroons filled with cream and marmalade. I follow his blog avidly pinching his ideas to experiment with in my kitchen.

Other cooking blogs that deserve a mention are the whisk kid and Sweetpolita both of which inspire my baking.

So the house is filled with the smell of fruit cake. I have spent this morning icing a Christmas cake whilst the moomoos naps. I have gone for the traditional marzipan and royal icing, placing tiny gold edible stars all over the top of the cake. This cake has a purpose. On the first of December we have a tradition that involves the first mulled wine of the Christmas season. We have friends and family round to ours in the evening. We will eat Christmas cake and drink delicious mulled wine.

As always I am behind on everything. I like to make handmade cards for christmas. So far this year I have not made a single one! I really need to get a bit of a wriggle on with this. To motivate myself a friend and I are planning to have a card making and wine evening. I am sure that the wine will help with the card making.

Another project that I have on the go is crocheting stars and baubles in red cotton which I am then stitching beautiful little gold star sequins. I am hoping to give a few of these away as gifts as well as making some for our own tree this year.

To finish here are a few photos which show how this wonderful November week has been going. Enjoy

Decorating cakes with stars




Pretty christmas lights



Jewel like spiderwebs adorning the burial grounds railings


Moomoos helping with my crochet


Foggy misting mornings making London looking all victorian peasoup like

No comments:

Post a Comment