Saturday 26 November 2011

Wandering through heath and parkland

I have had the most wonderful couple of days. The husband had a day off on Friday so we decided to head to Hampstead Heath whilst the pook was at school with the moomoos. The sky was blue to air was crisp and I forgot my camera. Well we can't have everything!

We set off on the overground which is my favourite way to travel in London, to Hampstead. Strolling up the heath in the direction of Kenwood house was wonderful. We strolled over the old viaduct bridge spanning the old brickworks. The trees still hold many of their leaves all wonderfully coloured in ambers and reds. After working up a bit of an appetite we walked back towards Hampstead Heath station and then on to the Garden Gate. A wonderful pub serving wonderful food. It has the most spectacular garden in the summer. With it being November we decided to sit inside on the chesterfield sofas by a toasty warm fire. I love love love a fire when it is cold outside.

As we had already decided that it was going to be a special lunch we went for the three course set menu at a very reasonable thirteen English pounds. I gorged myself on a starter of mushrooms with garlic and chili with a watercress salad, a main of GIANT hake fish fingers with chips and minty peas and tartare sauce yum yum yum! Dessert was a rather decadent beetroot and chocolate brownie. I think vegetables used in sweet dishes is genius! So sad that I have no pretty photos of our walk or lunch.

Friday evening was more fun. My brother and I went to the wonderful George and Dragon pub in Acton for a comedy night. How we laughed! For some unknown reason (maybe wine...) we decided to sit ourselves right at the front. This is not something I would usually recommend for a comedy night. The comics tend to pick on you and you can't get up to go for a wee. However last night it was the best seat in the house. Two of the comics were particularly funny; Tyson Boyce who was quite frankly a bit odd but very funny (does he put on that voice?) and Matthew Crosby. Overall a wonderful night and I am hoping they will repeat it again soon.

Today I was a bit more successful with the picture taking on our mammoth four hour walk in Richmond Park. There were trees and lakes and deer and herons. Even a woodpecker! We had the most wonderful time. Here are some photos I took along the way.

The terrace gardens just before the star and garter gate


The view as we walked from the station to the park

The pook hiding in one of the many hollow trees

Beautiful trees! I have been trying to put my tree identification talk to use.


The husband sporting his movember mo



A view down to the Thames

So a busy day full of fresh air and family fun. We all felt very tired when we arrived back at home. So I made a scrummy veggie tagine and some of my energy bites. They really pick you it.

Ingredients

500g raw cashews
200g raw sunflower seeds
200g dried mango
200g stoned dates
some sesame seeds

soak the cashews and dates in water for a hour then blend with the mango and sunflower seeds until well chopped and mixed. Roll into balls and coat with sesame seeds. Place on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for one hour at about 140 degrees. These make for a super healthy and tasty snack. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment